Tuesday 9 July 2013

Courgette Burgers

I love these little crispy pancake type burgers. They burst and pop with flavour in your mouth, are easy to make (although a bit of a process) and reheat/keep warm in the oven super duper well.

It is another recipe inspired by Yotom Otolenghi and I'm going to say that mine is easier, less time consuming and just as good as his (originally leek fritters).
Bold I know but I have to go in guns blazing.




My recipe is also great for gluten free diets. Through trial and error (aren't you glad I'm doing it for you) I've found that a cup of mixed buckwheat and quinoa flour works exactly the same as the quantity of flour Yotom uses in his. Yippeeee.

It's summer and the glut of courgettes was in. This uses up a good amount and you could use more just double the batter mixture and hey presto. Easy.

Courgettes or zucchinis depending on which side of the pond you come from are part of the summer squash family. Lower in sugar, carbs and Vit A than it's winter counterparts it is still a great alkaliser and supposed to help with inflammation according to the Chinese. Cooked per 100g it's only 16 calories..not bad my friends, not bad.




I love this spice. Can you guess what it is? I'm sure all you clever clots did and of course, why wouldn't you! Cumin. Fragrant and utterly reminiscent of India even though, it's native to Eastern Mediterranean. I always buy whole seeds and spices if I can. The flavours hold better for longer and will have more of an impact than powder. Who knew that such a tiny seed helps with the secretion of digestive juices, stimulate circulation and relieve pain and cramping. Wonder seed if I do say so myself.




I've already spoken about quinoa here so I'm going to focus on Buckwheat. Whilst reading up about this grain I was happily shocked to find that it is the best stabiliser of blood sugar out of all the grains. As someone who suffers with insulin resistance this is great! I have a little issue with the smell of cooked buckwheat but when I mixed it with quinoa flour I didn't even notice it. This grain is a power house of goodness containing all 8 essential amino acids. Lore says that buckwheat inhibits melanin and that's why you'll find that people living in warmer climes tend to eat more. I'm not sure about this but if you know more, tell me!

However, if you suffer from skin allergies or problems try not to eat to much as it prevents cells from cleansing themselves. It is however gluten free so great for celiacs and when roasted becomes  one of the few alkalinising grains.




RECIPE:
4 courgettes washed, topped, tailed and grated
1 cup of quinoa and buckwheat flour combined
1 large egg
⅔  cup of milk (I use goats)
big bunch of parsley/coriander
2 small chillies
garlic cloves
2 tbsp cumin
olive oil 
salt and pepper

In a frying pan, grate the courgettes, add the cumin seeds and cook so they release their water. Strain them a little but don't get stressed out about this as you don't want to lose the cumin seeds. Leave to cool.
In a blender whizz the parsley/coriander, chillies and garlic cloves. Meanwhile mix the egg, flour and milk. Add the whizzed up mixture to the batter and stir. Once the courgette is cooled add to the batter. Make sure that it's well stirred. Season.

In a frying pan heat some oil. Make sure it's really hot before you add the mixture and start cooking. Once it is hot to trot, place spoonfuls of the mixture and spread out a little. Cook till golden then turn over and repeat.

I normally cook mine 3 hrs ahead. When the time comes I heat in 100C oven for about 15/20mins. Makes 30.

Serve with a refreshing yoghurt and cucumber dip or a fresh salad.



6 comments:

  1. These look ridiculously tasty. I just made a zucchini pizza and have so much leftover, I might make these fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Asha, they are super yummy. Zucchini pizza…sounds good too! These also hold together really well and good cold…next day lunchbox?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look sooo delicious, I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I've made courgette muffins before which are so good so I imagine this would be too! Pinned it to my food board on pinterest so I'll remember to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know how you get on with them Carolyn! And Sarha thank you for Pinning this, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound really yummy - I always love trying out different veggie burgers :) Just going to pin them now for future reference!
    http://www.rebelangel.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete